Sunday, May 06, 2007

I have not shouted at my father since like ......... primary school or, was it lower secondary.. but I did last night. I remember that he had used a cane to chase me all the way out of the living room into the public corridor in front of all my friends. That was the first time that he actually used a cane to beat the hell out of me in my younger days. Of cos, I was a typical hot-bloodied teenager. I never dare to really raise my voice at him eversince. Last night was a lot of shouting and verbal abuse over a very very trivial matter but I just lost it. I bet even people from the void deck could hear me, and I'm living on the 12th floor.

I spent the next two hours cleaning my working table - nevermind the details. I could only get a grip of myself after I realised that my father has really aged... Had it been 20 years ago, he would have gave me two or maybe three or more tight slaps across my face for even dare to talk back at him - last night he didnt. All he said was " If no one is hurt, will you just stop all the shouting and we all need to get some sleep!" "And dont try to talk to your father and mother like that!" I could almost feel my blood boil but I held myself back at that instant. I decided that I should not continue to argue because it wasnt getting anywhere. It suddenly occurred to me that maybe I really need to just cool myself down. And keep quiet.

I could have sticked to my principle and ignore him this morning when I woke up thinking that "it wasnt my fault that I blew my top and had you not done what you did, I wouldnt be so mad!" but i didnt. Because He is afterall someone I respect very much and usually every weekend mornings he will always get me my favourite fishball noodles from the market and today, I still see my favourite fishball noodles on the table. Maybe mum bought it, who knows? But, I ate it.

Sometimes it really doesnt matter who is right or who is wrong - what matters is where you want go from here.

9 comments:

fyen said...

you love them too much to bear a grudge.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever wondered that it's funny and out of explanation on why we human would always hurt the people we love the most.

We know we love them (our parents). We know without them we wouldn't be here but why do we still shout at them who brought us into this world?

Without them, you won't be standing there shouting at him, right? And it is never a culture for Asian people to apologize to their parents. Furthermore, sorry seems to be the hardest word to say.

Ah Kiong said...

sorry seems to be the hardest word it is

covantai said...

The only people in one's life who are always forgiving and supportive and understanding is one's family. Make an effort to mend fences, family is the best pillar.

Shake Trees said...

aisay ah kiong kor noti. cannot do lidat to parents ah. they raise u up , school u n give u all basic things 1. must b grateful n filial leh. parents old aledi. forgive n forget yar. the greatest blessings comes from them n not elsewhere. change now when they're still around. :)

Cupooftea said...

they love you too much to bear any grudge too

Ah Kiong said...

dun worry guys
I knw wat i m to do
tks for the concern

Anonymous said...

exactly, no 1 is rite or wrong. Is just a different angle of thing ppl are long at. Whether is your parent or friends, just take a deep breathe, cool it down. probably the next day or sometime later, it could just laugh at yourself.What an earth of such a tiny things!!!!! You will used up alot of energy when you are angry. Ah keong!!!!! You definitely a good son!!!!
:):):)

Auntie eddy

Ah Kiong said...

yes i know eddy :P